Lakhs of aspirants prepare for the IAS exam every year. As one of the most competitive exams in the country, it requires intense preparation and dedication. There is certainly more than one way of preparing for this prestigious exam. However, if you are planning your IAS preparation as a beginner, it is natural to be a bit confused at first.
IAS exam consists of many stages of selection with varied exam patterns for each. There are many papers within it that need extensive preparation. Aspirants also often face trouble finding the exact syllabus, especially, UPSC Syllabus in Hindi which is quite vast. Preparing a study plan for it can certainly be a task. That’s why we are providing here an IAS study plan for beginners which will help you start your preparation journey.
How to Start IAS Preparation For Beginners?
IAS preparation for beginners can get overwhelming. However, it is manageable with proper planning. Below, we are mentioning points to keep in mind while preparing your IAS study plan for beginners.
- Know the Exam Pattern: UPSC exam has three stages Prelims, Mains and Interview. The exam pattern for each stage is different. Hence, the first thing to do is to acquaint yourself with the stages of selection and the subsequent paper pattern for each.
- Divide Your Time: Prelims and Mains are both crucial. Hence, you should ensure that you are preparing for both from the very beginning. Divide your time between these two mindfully.
- Thoroughly Under the Syllabus: The only way to understand how much time to devote to each paper is to go through the UPSC Syllabus in detail. Going through the syllabus and following it is of utmost importance. It will save you time and improve overall efficiency.
- Start Early: As a beginner, UPSC preparation needs to be started at least a year before the day of the exam. Aspirants should provide themselves with enough time to cover all the important topics mentioned in the syllabus.
IAS Preparation Tips for Beginners
Given the scope of this exam, it is natural to feel intimidated by the amount of studying that has to be done. Developing your IAS study plan as a beginner can be tough. Hence, follow the below-mentioned tips that will help with your preparation.
- Create a Timetable: Having a timetable is a must. It will help you maintain discipline and devote proper time to each paper.
- Assess Yourself Objectively: Go through the syllabus and understand the important topics. Assess your level of expertise in each and devote time for preparation accordingly.
- Prepare for Prelims and Mains together: Do not wait till you have cleared your Prelims to start preparing for Mains. Many subjects and topics are similar in both which is why you should try to extend your study a bit and complete the UPSC syllabus for both at the same time.
- Avoid Information Overload: Do not fall into the trap of overstimulation by going through tonnes of study material. Do your research and pick the books you like and stick with them.
UPSC Beginners Books
Preparation Books are crucial aspects of an IAS study plan for beginners. They help candidates develop a good grip on the subject. Refer to the following books which will help your IAS preparation as a beginner.
- NCERT Books from Class 6th to 10th
- Indian Polity by M. Laxmikanth
- Tata McGraw Hill CSAT Manual
- World Atlas Orient Black Swan
- Indian Economy by Nitin Singhania
IAS One Year Study Plan
As mentioned, you need to start your preparation a year in advance. Creating an IAS study plan for beginners is not an easy task. However, if you refer to the tips mentioned above you can create a good one-year study plan which will help you cover maximum topics. Ensure you go through the syllabus thoroughly and prepare a study plan which suits your needs the best.